Tubal Ligation Reversal: Cost, Success Rates, Procedure, and More
Tubal ligation is a surgery in which fallopian tubes are tied, cut, or burnt to prevent pregnancy. After this operation, eggs and sperm can’t meet, so fertilization does not occur.
- Women who have gone for tubal ligation, the only option for becoming pregnant is tubal ligation reversal or IVF.
- Tubal ligation reversal is a surgery that reconnects or reopens the fallopian tube and allows eggs or sperm to meet so that fertilization occurs.
- This helps a woman in getting pregnant naturally who had previously had her tubes tied. It is also called tubal reversal or tubal sterilization reversal.
Your doctor can advise which option is best for you: tubal ligation reversal or IVF.
How should we Opt for Tubal Ligation Reversal?
You should opt for tubal ligation reversal if there is a good chance of becoming pregnant after surgery. But the success of this surgery depends on multiple factors like
- Age: – Younger the age, the higher the chance of getting pregnant naturally. Tubal ligation reversal is also more successful in younger women.
- Body Mass Index: – Reversal is less successful in women who are overweight.
- Type of Tubal Ligation: – Some types of tubal ligations are not a reversal, or the chances of relapse are less. The tubal ligation procedure, where the doctor uses clips or rings to tie fallopian tubes, is easier to reverse than those involving burning the fallopian tubes.
- Other Infertility Issues: – Other infertility issues, such as uterine fibroids, irregular periods, endometriosis, etc., may reduce the chances of tubal ligation reversal success.
- Size of the fallopian tube was left undamaged: – There is a higher chance of success when more of a fallopian tube is left undamaged and healthy.
- Quality of Sperm and Egg: – Before this surgery, the doctor will check the quality of your egg and your partner’s sperm.
Compulsory tests Before the Tubal Ligation Surgery?
Before the surgery, your doctor will first examine your medical history, including surgeries done in the past. Then will also examine your partner’s health and the quantity and quality of sperm by performing the semen analysis to determine your chances of getting pregnant naturally.
Your doctor may also perform blood and imaging tests based on your medical history and test results. These tests are done to ensure your ovaries are normal. You’ll also need a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) test to check the length and function of your remaining fallopian tubes. An HSG can be done using dye, X-rays, saline, air, and ultrasound.
What is the procedure during a tubal ligation reversal?
Tubal ligation reversal surgery lasts about two to three hours and occurs in a hospital.
Chances of Getting Pregnant after Tubal Ligation Reversal?
In general, 40 to 80% of women who have undergone tubal ligation reversal have a higher chance of having a successful pregnancy. However, its success depends on many factors. If you and your partner do not have other fertility issues and more of your fallopian tubes are healthy, you have a good chance of getting pregnant after this surgery. Age is another crucial factor on which the success of pregnancy depends.
Risks and Intricacies of this Procedure?
The risks with the tubal ligation procedure are very low. However, one can have complications like: –
Cost of Tubal Ligation Reversal?
Tubal ligation reversal is an expensive surgery. Its cost depends on various factors such as where you live, the tests you need beforehand, hospital fees, the cost of surgery, etc. However, its price can range from $5000 to $21000.
Tubal ligation is a safe procedure for birth control, but tubal ligation reversal is not very easy. Its success depends on many factors such as age, other fertility issues, quality of egg and sperm, and many other things. So, it is not a good option for everyone and is also expensive.
It is always better to get suggestions from a doctor. However, you can opt for its alternative, IVF, if it doesn’t look suitable.